06 February 2011

A Few of My Favorite Herbs

When I was pregnant with my daughter 3-years-ago I started researching the benefits of herbs.  As I read pregnancy books, one in particular A Natural Guide to Pregnancy and Postpartum Health, my curiosity was piqued by the uses of herbs throughout history.  By the time I hit my second trimester I had talked with herbalists, read countless material, talked to my midwife, and prayed about what would best suit my prenatal needs.  

My daughter was our third child.  I had a ton of energy throughout my second and third trimester, felt great, and had an incredible labor and birth. The entire experience was far different than my pregnancies with my two sons.  We obviously can't go back and see if it would be different if I didn't drink the herbal tea, but I strongly believe the tea was the reason for such a great experience.  My daughter is now 2 1/2, and I still enjoy the benefits of these nutritional powerhouses.


A few of my favorites:


Nettle

- Helps lower blood pressure, ease anemia, and relieve pain
- Eases leg cramps and improves circulation
- Thought to be the highest in Chlorophyll of all the herbs, and provides many other vitamins and minerals


More Information


Red Raspberry Leaf  

- Treats canker sores, cold sores, and gingivitis 
- Eases leg cramps and helps with restless leg syndrome
- Helps to balance hormones
- Tones the uterus
- Can greatly reduce pain in labor
- High in many vitamins and minerals

In Scotland women would drink red raspberry leaf tea throughout their pregnancy and then drink a very strong and hot brew as they go into labor. In the book Rodale's Encyclopedia of Natural Home Remedies several women give their account of the impact of red raspberry leaf tea. Many women, myself included, say that their labors were short and low(er) intensity, in comparison to their other births, after diligently drinking red raspberry leaf tea. 



More Information



Alfalfa

- Helps with hypoglycemia, high blood pressure and the pituitary gland
- High in beta carotene, chlorophyll, and vitamins A,C & K
- Helps body to utilize calcium by keeping it in the bones and away from the arteries


Peppermint

- Helps with digestion 
- Great flavor
- Relieves muscle spasms
- Helps reduce pain


Chamomile

- Calms the nervous system
- Soothes skin irritations - burns, rashes, and acne
- Soothes the stomach in all ages.  Relieves gas, and many cultures use it to calm colicky babies


Oatstraw

- High in calcium
- Soothes the nervous system
- Helps with sexual dysfunction, and has been used to treat genital herpes


Young Hyson Green Tea

- Great immune booster
- Speeds up metabolism and increases fat oxidation
- Energy!!
- Powerful antioxidant - lowers risk for many cancers and heart disease
- Many researchers believe it kills bacteria in the mouth which would help treat and prevent gingivitis 


How I brew my tea:

Typically people use (1) tablespoon of dried herbs per cup of water.  If you are using herbs medicinally you can add more herbs.  

- Warm water in a kettle or pan.  We intentionally do not own a microwave, and I do not recommend the use of one.
- Place herbs in a french press or glass jar.  I use 1/2 cup herbs for 1 liter of water.
- Pour hot water over herbs.  Do NOT pour boiling water over herbs as it can damage some of the beneficial nutrients.
- Let steep covered for 30 minutes
- I dilute my infusion to fill a glass (1) liter jug
- Enjoy! (If you would like a sweetener try stevia or honey)



2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try some of these & I already love Raspberry leaf.... You should also put in a link to the dangers of heating water in a microwave! It can explode but its delayed so people get severely burned!!!! I don't like microwaves either but the water burn thing is awful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, friend! Great idea about posting about the dangers of heating water in the microwave. You inspired a post idea about why we don't use one. :)

    ReplyDelete